Back to Discovery


Yesterday, we began with our season of learning. Although, when are we not? I have found this summer to be rich with lessons, experiences and reflection of the previous year. I am trying to learn how to release control of standing in front of them to "teach" them an actual lesson. Yes, that is one way to teach and learn. However, I want them to become independent thinkers and learners.

The day started with invitations to learn. I had it all planned for them to wake up at 9, eat breakfast and then begin school. Then, I had to remind myself, we left that schedule for a reason. If I really want independent learning to be natural, I need to see them make the choice to begin. We all know how being told to do something feels. So, I wrote encouraging notes inviting them to learn this year along with the books that correlate with their lessons. I picked flowers from our garden and placed them on their desks. This act was really humbling. My goal for the day was for them to flip through books and just preview what they would be learning.

Julie was the first to wake up. She was ready to learn. Jayla, not so much. I didn't say anything about the notes or flowers. I simply left them on their desks. Our summer routine has been them waking up, going downstairs and playing a few games. Think about what we do when we wake up. Some do devotionals, read, check emails, workout. This is just what they do, and we don't have a problem with it. When they got downstairs, they noticed the desks and goodies. it was freeing for me not to bark at them to get ready, we're doing school in 10 mins, or threaten. My goal is for them to find their way by me passively encouraging them to choose the right path.

So, they began their independent math studies first. The program we are using is kid friendly, humorous and hard. It requires them to think, fail and then actively seek the right way to complete the problem.Their other lessons go hand in hand and intertwine with each subject. My favorite part of these lessons is the decision to choose how they want to apply what they've learned. They are given a choice of assignments to choose from. They range from writing an essay to acting out a play.

Overall, it was a very light day. I want my girls to make the decision to learn without me ordering them around. It might take longer for them to do this, but it will be theirs. And owning their own education is far more rewarding. I look forward to who they will become and the journey that will get them there.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschool Resources in the Community

CC Play Date Week 1!